Friday, February 22, 2008

Life changing Siem Reap

Well, our time is coming to an end. I apologize for the lack of posts. Wi-fi is a hit or miss thing in Cambodia.
Last you heard from us, we were heading to Siem Reap. The glorious home of Angkor Wat. What a grand display of history. Angkor Wat is the master piece of Khmer architecture, built by Suryavarnan II. This is just one of many spread over 40 miles around Siem Reap. Chris and I spent 6 days in this enchanting Cambodian town. We spent hours exploring the temples and photographing them. We spent a day with a photography guide. Chris saw more birds here then any other place we have been in Southeast Asia. I am sorry I can not download any photos at the moment. I was having a hard time finding wi-fi.
We met up with our friend Kim, the woman we met in Laos. She spent the next 2 weeks traveling with us thru Cambodia.
As I explained before, this country captured my heart. The history of the people and what they have been through is heart breaking. The amazing thing about these people is that no matter how much lack of money, food, clothing, or hope for the future, they are amazingly happy.
The only time I witnessed a child crying was because of our lack of speaking the same language.
This moment was a life changing moment for me.
Chris, Kim, and I were going to a mini mart one night to purchase snacks for a long boat ride the next day. As we were walking into the store, a young woman with a small baby asked us to buy her formula for her child. Seeing as how she was not begging for money or for herself, we of course purchased her a large can of formula. While I was in the mart I saw a young boy, around 8 years old, standing outside and pointing into the store. I thought he was pointing to candy. I told him I was not going to buy him candy, but I handed him some bananas out the door. When I got done with my purchase, we left. I walked out side to find the boy with his little sister, around 1 years ol ,on his back. He was balling. As I was walking and trying to understand him, I realized he had been asking me to purchase some "milk", which was formula, for his sister. Kim and I looked at each other and turned right around and went back in side and bought him some "milk" for his sister. After that moment, I new this was how I needed to help. Chris and I discussed it in great length and decided next year we need to return to Cambodia and volunteer with the Siem Reap Children's Hospital and a local orphanage. I will keep you informed of our ideas and how you can help if you so desire. I will post pictures at a later date to show you the faces of these amazing children.
Stay tuned for a few more posts to tell you about the south of Cambodia and the beautiful islands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you please post more stories about the orphanage house you visted and how you are planning to help out and how others can help out .. also, is there a way to send money directly, and being sure it gets to the right hands?... thank you.