Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Leaving the sites and sounds of Hanoi

After 4 days in Hanoi, we finally figured out that crossing the road was the like the old video game Frogger.  Apparently, I need to practice.  Chris and I met up with our boys from K-town, Rusty and Garry. After a day of walking around town with them, I thought I had mastered the motorbike stare down. Walk slow and make eye contact with the drivers. I made it half way across the street and was waiting on a bus to pass when a motor scooter decided to "scoot" around the bus. I guess he did not see me. So yes, mom and dad, I was hit by a scooter. Luckily I have been lifting weights, so I pushed him out of the way. No broken bones, just a couple of bruised toes and leg. Now that we have that out of the way, on to Hue (pronounced "way"). Thank you God. After, four days, I am over the guy trying to take us on a cyclo tour, or the lady trying to sell us books, the other lady trying to get us to buy her fruit. Not to mention all of the motor bike horns and the constant flow of traffic. Get me to the country side. We are leaving  in the morning to visit the World Heritage site of Halong Bay. We are going to spend the night on a Junk boat. No, that is not an old run down boat, but a large wooden boat  with big sails. I will post pictures when we return. That  is the excitement so far for Vietnam. Will keep you posted.

No comments: